Pages

Monday, February 17, 2014

Link Ambushed!

I wanted to use the Roman inspired Link design I did a while back, so between commissions and work I've been painting this. I didn't put a ton of thought into a back story or anything I just wanted to practice a multi-figure composition. I decided to draw Link ambushed by some of Gannon’s soldiers, he obviously won! 





This painting I started totally different than any I had done before.  I did a mix of black and white painting and line art together, blocking in shape and tone along with a super basic skeleton of the drawing, something I had been doing with the speed paints before I started this.  I'll have to try it out more, but It seemed to get the comp and beginning stages rolling a lot faster than a line drawing alone.

The First color pass, after it's all done I almost like the colors of this one this one more.   Part of me wishes I had stuck to this pallet and done a more monochrome painting with just the focals having high saturation/contrast.  One of the pitfalls of not working from a fully fleshed out sketch/color comp and just adding stuff as you go along.  When you're your own AD it's easy to change shit around on the fly, for better or worse!

No comments:

Post a Comment